Wednesday, March 15, 2017

“Teacher, I don’t understand.” How to communicate with your ESL teacher

A lesson I did on polite ways to communicate with
your ESL teacher

“Teacher, I have a question.”

As an ESL student, it can feel uncomfortable to talk to your teacher. There are many reasons you may feel this way.

You may be shy
The teacher may be strict or unapproachable
You don’t want to feel embarrassed
You don’t know how to ask a question

This is common. The good news is, you CAN overcome these feelings and communicate with your teacher.

Step 1: Always say, “Excuse me” before asking a question. Saying excuse me is polite (respectful) and will get the teacher’s attention.
In some instances, you can raise your hand to ask the teacher a question.
NEVER yell or say, “Hey!” or “Hey you!” to your teacher. This is impolite (not respectful).

Step 2: Wait for the teacher to acknowledge you. When the teacher looks at you, says, “Yes,” or points to you, this is your chance to ask a question.
Sometimes, the teacher may say, “Does anyone have any questions?” If so, raise your hand and ask your question.

Polite ways to ask a question
Excuse me, I have a question
Excuse me teacher, may I ask a question?
Excuse me ______ (teacher’s name), _____________? (Your question)

“Teacher, I don’t understand.”

You will feel this way as an ESL student. You will NOT understand everything you are learning. However, many students do not like to say, “I don’t understand” in fear of feeling or looking “stupid.” In some cultures, telling a teacher you don’t understand is not good. Because of this, many students sit quietly never telling the teacher what they don’t understand.

Here are some ways to help you say, “I don’t understand,” without feeling uncomfortable:
Excuse me teacher, can you say that again?
Excuse me teacher, can you repeat that please?
Teacher, I am not sure what you mean. Can you explain again please?
I’m not sure, can you go over that again?

These are nice ways to let the teacher know you don’t understand or need him/her to repeat something again.

***REMEMBER*** It is OKAY to say, "I don't understand." 

NEVER say, “I am stupid teacher” or “I have a stupid question.” This is a mistake many students make. I always tell my students, “You are NOT stupid. Please don’t say that about yourself.”

As teachers, it’s important to REMIND our students that they are LEARNING and are NOT expected to know everything. If so, they wouldn’t need to take English classes J

My advice
I encourage you to talk to your teacher. Always be polite and your teacher will help you. Sometimes if the teacher doesn’t help you, your classmates will.

Never feel embarrassed, always ask questions. Your question may be the same question your classmate has, but is too shy to ask. This is all part of the learning process. 



For more tips and advice, check out my ESL video series here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Confidence

People like to ask, “Are you confident” or “Do you have confidence?” For many of us, this is not an easy question to answer. By defi...